13 April 2005

Excuse Me While I Gush

I "discovered" these pictures of my cats buried away deep in one of my inboxes.

These pictures date back to November 2002, the year I got two new additions to my family of three homo sapiens. The cats were about a month old when they arrived. They were kittens* then.



They're not cats of any popular breed that you get from a pet store, but I love them all the same.

Chocolate paws with vanilla spots (with chocolate spots):


They were so cute as kittens, and just as cute as adult cats.

True -- they no longer fit into certain small spaces.

True -- I can no longer hold them for long with just one hand. (5 kilos is just too much strain for my gym-unacquainted arm.)

True -- one of them doesn't even allow me the privilege of having it sleep on my lap. (A cat with feline pride: Meow~Roarrr~ I ain't no lapcat!)

Yet, everyday, I still exclaim out loud, "So cute!" at least 5 times. Everyday.

I don't get tired of their silly little antics, or the various expressions they seem to have.



I never get sick of checking on what they're doing, even if they're just sleeping.

In fact, I don't understand sometimes: Why do people get pets, keep them till adulthood, and then dump them like something expendable and without feelings?

All because someone couldn't resist a kid's persistent begging.

All because someone felt it was good luck to keep one as it's the lunar year of that animal.

All because someone was (granted, understandably enough) taken in by those beguiling eyes on that cute, furry body.

All because someone with the cash had a whim.

All because someone didn't think of all the responsibilities that comes with being a pet owner.

An animal is not an inanimate object which does not feel pain, hunger, thirst or discomfort.

It needs adequate, suitable food and water in a clean environment. It needs attention and affection. It needs patience when it does something deemed wrong by the pet owner. It needs proper veterinary care when ill, and oh, so much more.

Think you're up to it? Adopt one today.

Ehem, I've went off on a bit of a tangent, haven't I? Well, more pictures then.



Yes, that heel needed some cleaning. Well, my excuse is that I needed to take the picture fast in case the cat gets impatient, and I wanted the heel there for size comparison.

And now, the final image for you to go oooh so cute! at:



Studies have shown that people who keep pets have lower blood pressure; I believe that. I believe it's true for me, and for my parents. Unfortunately, the effect of the cats' beneficial presences on my parents' blood pressure may have been most likely negated by me.


*I have an old girlfriend who enquires after my cats by asking, "So, how are your kittens?" And the reply she'd always get first is, "They're not kittens anymore! They haven't been kittens for a long time."

Technorati Tags: , ,

2 Old Comments:

awww such cute kitties :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/22/2005 06:32:00 AM  

Thank you. ^_^

By Blogger TKY, at 4/23/2005 11:57:00 PM